Once you have your All Fired Up Take Home Paint Kit, what do you need to know?
Please read carefully below so your piece can be exactly what you want!
How the paint works:
- Keep track of how many coats of paint you are doing. One coat will look more like watercolor and you will see the brushstrokes. Two coats will look a little more filled in. Three coats will look filled in/solid and the color will be brighter.
- Layering of the colors matters. Don’t paint light colors on top of dark. Dark colors over power light colors during firing. Even if the light color looks good on top of a dark color before firing, it may not fire the way you want. Start with your light colors and work towards your dark colors.
- Mixing colors is not recommended! These paints are not like acrylics. Yellow and blue won’t necessarily make green.
- Anything unpainted (no paint) will be glossy white! We will apply a clear glaze over the entire piece.
- Our paints are water soluble! This means nothing is permanent until it goes in the kiln and if you mess up, the paint can be removed using a wet Q-Tip or sponge. Darker colors can be harder to get off completely, but can be covered with a lighter color after being washed off.
- Brushes should be kept dry! No water is needed to apply the paint and there is no need to wash off the pottery before painting. Water should only be used to rinse brushes of a color before switching to another color, or for getting paint off of the piece.
Other important tips:
- If you need to outline/sketch/draw something on the piece before you paint, use a ballpoint pen. NEVER USE A LEAD PENCIL. Lead Pencils will show and repel the glaze, which will make your piece not sealed and not food safe.
- Do not use other paint that does not come from our studio. We will inspect the piece when you drop it off, and we will deny firing if we see another type of paint. This is to prevent damage to your piece and our kilns.
What to do when you are done:
- Please return your piece(s) to the All Fired Up location that you got the piece(s) from!
- When you drop off, we will help you put your initials (AT LEAST THREE LETTERS) on the piece so we can help you find it later.
- Your piece will be ready a week from when you dropped off!